Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Appliance finds-you wish you were this good


So if you have been following the blog you know we are renovating our kitchen. We have been pretty much from the first day we moved in.... We wanted to do it on a low budget so we wouldn't be putting so much money into the house in order to sell it for a realistic price. I SCOUR the internet for deals non-stop (every time I feed Hadley). I have been looking for stainless appliances because I didn't want to buy them new. I figured we'd spend about 1100 for a new refrigerator, 500 for stove, 500 for dishwasher and 100 for microwave brand new (and those were on the low end). I knew we could afford that but again I didn't want to put that much money into it if there was a deal to be found, and boy was there! We didn't plan to get them this weekend, but when there's a deal you can't ignore it!

I belong to several facebook groups for local swap meet pages. There was a lead on one of them that we passed on because we thought it wouldn't fit (turns out it would have) but it was craigslist where we really got our lead. *I would not have done any of this without James people so quit thinking it's dangerous*. I saw a stainless steel refrigerator first and I was interested. I googled the phone number and our local newspaper came up with an add saying "we buy and sell appliances" with the same phone number. I thought hmmmm that means they have a lot and maybe they have more than just the fridge. Well James called and he gets stainless all the time and said we could come by over the weekend, it's in a little tin building warehouse a little outside of town.

We were so busy (see yesterday's post) that we were going to pass on it and hope another one came up when we had more time. Well Saturday morning I saw a stove that was PERFECT for us. We needed a drop/slide in with no lip on it because of the peninsula. I thought we probably wouldn't find that used because it's not that common. I told James we need to go look because we can't pass it up! We get there and he has the matching dishwasher! Turns out we need that too! James worked a deal since we were getting 3 appliances and he took 75 off the total price. He also would deliver for 40 dollars. Since James didn't have a dolly nor did we want to make three trips, we took the deal. He was at our house within an hour with them, we didn't even have the refrigerator cleaned out! It all was happening so quick!

Since he buys AND sells appliances we sold him our old white ones and he hauled them off, man was that a good deal. Seriously, we rock. He gave us $340 for all three, James said 400 he said 300 so they sort of met in the middle (he said it would take care of delivery cost) works for us. The refrigerator was $450, the stove was $375 and dishwasher was $250 for a total of $1075 and then he took $75 off so it was $1000 plus $40 for delivery. NOT BAD for 1 year old appliances (he said a guy was going through a divorce and needed money for everything and anything in his house so that's how he ended up with them). Oh did I mention the stove is a convection oven?! I had to google it, but basically the temperature is the same all the way through so it cooks things evenly and faster.... it worked well for our ribs Sunday. It's very high tech and neat!

So basically with the sale of our old ones plus the new ones, we paid him $700. yeah. SERIOUSLY. and he said as he was pulling out to come to our house he got TWO phone calls for people wanting to come look at them, so DON'T SNOOZE OR YOU'LL LOSE! How nice do they look?! We have drywallers coming in today to patch up the electrical holes and then we'll need to touch up paint and we'll be DONE (well we need a microwave, I'm still looking for a deal on that or just going to buy the 75 dollar one from walmart).





I wanted one with a water/ice dispenser on the outside, but this one really looks elegant and snazzy. Since this isn't our forever home, I was able to say this would work for us. Plus we've been doing without it since we got here and there is an ice maker in the freezer.

When we get the paint done, I will do lots of before and after pictures. It's really hard to imagine what it was like before. Did you like the sneak peek of the white cabinets?!?

4 comments:

  1. Sweet deal, looks great as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look exquisite in your kitchen!! Fits in very well.. Great deal... a little cocky... but well deserved. nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations that is awesome! The Kitchen looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woohoo on all the the appliances! Is that an Electrolux dishwasher. I loved the one I had over at the other place and while this one is a great one, a Samsung. I really loved how quiet the Electrolux was, I see another one in our future one of these days!

    ReplyDelete