We knew when we bought our current house that we wanted to do renovations. We weren't sure the extent of it but I think we have that sorted out now. I'd really like to do a full renovation in some areas but I know that since we'll be selling it in a couple of years that it isn't the smartest idea. So here is what we decided we would tackle. The kitchen cabinets over the island needed to come down and that's already been done. We couldn't stand it even a couple days. When we had family in town, the boys got right to work.
| before |
| during |
![]() |
| after |
We decided to change the flooring also. The tile that is there is just all scratched up and I'm not digging it. We will be putting in wood flooring in the kitchen and adding it to part of the living room then extending it through the hallway. Right now there is a lot of OLDER carpet in the living room and hall areas. There is already hardwood already in the foyer and dining room that we wanted to put in the rest of the areas I just mentioned, but we've run into a snag. IT'S DISCONTINUED, just our luck. They don't make it anymore. So it looks like we'll have to replace the existing floors because I want it to all flow smoothly. Not ideal but what can you do. I don't want a light wood floor and although I'm really drawn to dark wood, I have to keep telling myself NO because been there done that. It looks really great but the foot prints and dirt...... just not practical. So I've decided that we should do a medium color. I like these that I saw from pinterest.
I am picking out pendant lights today and then we are getting someone to come in to match the ceiling to smooth it over where the previous lights were. I hope to be picking out flooring soon (including new carpeting in the bedrooms and part of the living room) and ordering cabinet doors. James has some days off that he's taking so we figured we'd knock out the renovations sooner rather than later, that way we can enjoy it for longer. So what do you guys think?



I love those wood floor colors. I'm ready to see it all progress!
ReplyDeleteRemoving the cabinets really opened it up! The floor choices are great too. Can't wait for it all to come together! James, let Michelle hire someone for the cabinets. It is a LOT of time and work!
ReplyDeleteGood progress in a short amount of time. I like both sets of floors. Sounds like a good plan and I'd agree, for the sake of time and hassle, probably best to have the cabinets done.
ReplyDeleteHire someone for the cabinets if you don't have the time and patience for it... I spent months sanding and priming and painting ours. They look great but it was a TON of work.
ReplyDeleteRenovating your house will give you the opportunity to decorate it your way and make every space reflect your personality. By the way, I like your flooring ideas. Keep on browsing interior design ideas on Pinterest to help you with your renovations.
ReplyDelete